View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 05:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
murrill

Originally Posted by Gemmie View Post
Someone in AA recently said to me "A character defect isnt a character defect unless it is bothering you...doesnt matter if it is bothering someone else"
I've never heard this before--which is probably a good thing since it might have given me license to continue to offend. A character defect was described to me as being something like having a car without headlights: You could still drive it, but its use was limited.
I had been sober quite a few 24º now, and I'd like to say that I had rid myself of all character defects. But alas, the more I learn the more I realize how little I knew. As I become older--and hopefully wiser---I view myself with a different set of eyes. Things that I ponder today are not the same one I considered several years ago....or at least not from the same perspective. I guess my initial 4th step was a general overhaul, and subsequent 10th step work is about the fine-tuning.
IMHO something may be a character defect whether it bothers me or not. However, I am unlikely to do something about it until the consequences become unpleasant enough.