View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 01:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
intention
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by Kjell View Post
Great responses - thank you.

I'm not even comfortable thinking about being in a group of people, in some sort of social setting, without alcohol or drugs. I just don't know how to do it sober b/c I've never really done it (and the times I did, I was uncomfortable and would leave early to go catch a buzz).

I'm going to have to start at some point though or else I'll never become comfortable with it. I can't even comprehend being comfortable in such a setting, never mind having a good time!

The bottom line is I'm fearful of this.
Hi Kjell,

Of course you are fearful.......you are at Step 4 at the moment, do I remember right?

When you have worked steps 4 through to 9, you remove that which is blocking you from God (or your Higher Power) and that is when the promises happen and you have your spiritual awakening. Read the promises on the bottom of P84. The problem (obsession to drink) will be removed.

At this time you will be relaxed in these social situations but until then it may be wise to avoid times where there will be alcohol around. If you can't avoid it then make sure you use all the tools of recovery that you have - most definitely keep in close contact with your sponsor and devise a strategy for you to keep sober for the particular event.