Thread: Newbie
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2010, 04:23 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  
seeker414
Beginner

Originally Posted by angharad View Post
Basically what I'm trying to say is that quitting my addiction this time is MY choice. Its not an addiction that i am being forced to quit due to circumstance. I really want to succeed!
So good to read...congratulations on this as well as your perseverance!

If I might make a suggestion, in the spirit of this commitment to yourself, stay open to doing whatever it takes to stay sober--which I think you are, and that's great too!

For me, this time it means being a member of AA. I have tried other things, including virtual support like this, but it wasn't enough.

After 26 meetings in 26 days (the first two before my sobriety date 2/21/2010), I can say that I'm sober because of my sponsor and the program, and I'm in a better space than I have ever been whether drinking or dry.

I have had a relatively hard time adjusting to this new thing in my life, and I have had to read books to help me see AA from my point of view and have it work for me on my terms without diluting the program. I've had to deal with the stress of getting to know different groups and those who attend them as well as the awkward moments that result from meeting new people.

I had to commit to 90 meetings in 90 days and make myself stick to that no matter what--other approaches will work for other people I'm sure.

Do what you have to do for you just like you've said because you're worth it!