View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 09:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
HeartbreakKid

Smile Sobriety for a College Student

Greetings everyone! I am glad I found this site and, thus, forum. I would just like to introduce myself and get a few things off my shoulders. I am 23 years old (soon 24) and attend a University. I am sure you all know what goes in college. I happen to be at one that involves quite a bit of partying and drinking. In fact, a lot of my close friends fall into that category as did I for a few years.

I realized I had a drinking problem before I turned 21. I'll save the stories for another time. Upon realizing my problem I had quit drinking. Not a drop of alcohol that is. It was all fruity pebbles, but I slowly fell back into my bad habit with alcohol. So this continued for a couple of years and it was all very gradual. Being young, naive, and over-confident, I failed to admit my problem and eventually lost my girlfriend of 6 years, failed a couple of classes, and got a DUI. My DUI was this last May of '09 and I am currently going through the required program. Even after my DUI my alcohol abuse continued.

A few months before the new year I significantly reduced my alcohol intake. It was just at mealtimes and other times when I would give in to peer pressure. But I realized that I had to say "NO!" firmly for once in my life and take control. So I have been. It is still very hard to say no at times not because I want to, but because I am losing "friends" (if that's what you want to call them - more like drinking buddies who I thought were friends). So this is why I decided to join this forum, attend some AA meetings in my county, and acquire a sponsor.

Thank you for listening and I welcome any comments, suggestions, feedback, and/or questions.

~The Heartbreak Kid