Old 03-15-2010, 03:37 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
armaviva

becoming sober is a whole life change & you're probably very unfamiliar with it. most of us have seen friends & acquaintances drop like flies. do you have family? any friends who support you?

"Take a genuine and sincere interest in other people..."

good advice. for me, since i quit drinking, it is & has been very fulfilling to leave my own little world at least for awhile & put my focus on trying to help others. "A person starts to live when he can live outside himself."

i get so lonely i start feeling sorry for myself. then i remember that for all the hardships, this is still the life that God has called me to, and while sometimes it can seem almost TOO desolate & isolated, despairing over it is only saying that i dont want it. rather than focusing my energy on self pity, i instead try to redirect it toward improving myself, so that i can improve the good, healthy relationships i do still have & the lives of those around me which i touch, inevitably
“Only a life lived for others is worth living”.

im trying to learn how to replace the false & temporary fulfillment of partying ways & partying friends with a new & very different kind of relationship with the remaining people around me, and it takes more effort on my part but is definitely more worthwhile. for me also its been a long, slow, difficult process, which sometimes overwhelms me but its getting better all the time......

i hope this makes sense & helps