View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 07:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
trapezelady

Please help me help my mum!!!!

Hello Everyone

I am a daughter of an alcoholic, My mum has been drinking for the last 10 years but has got to the point where i am now extremley concerned for her life. She is British and living in the UK, but i have lived in the Dominican Republic for the last 6 years. Both her and her husband (my srep father) have just visited me and allthough i knew there was a problem, i didnt realize how bad things had got. Her husband is not a drinker, infact almost tee total but he has tried every approach there is. I feel he has been too soft, to which he agrees with.

I have discussed having her commited to a rehab centre, something i feel should have been done a long time ago. I know alot of her drinking is dealing with childhood abuse, but as i am her daughter she has not divulged all of it to me, but what i already know is really very upsetting.

I am hoping maybe someone can tell me if being forced into rehab can be successful or only if the addict themselves feels it is time to go.

Maybe someone here has a similar background and can say if they found help at a certain place or maybe what didnt help.

Any help and advice would be so very appreciated, I want my mum back and if something is not done now i know i will loose her forever. Please feel free to be brutally honest with me..should i butt out??...should i be soft with her or hard as a sledgehammer!!

Please help?!?!?!?!