Old 03-14-2010, 12:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
flutter
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Me personally, I've been sober since Dec/08.. I think everyone has to find what works for them best. For some people it's AA, rehab, outpatient group therapy, counseling, a combo of all of the above, and probably many things I can't think of! For me, one on one counseling with an addictions therapist really helped me out, but I had to get to a place where I wanted sobriety more than another drink, before any else would 'work' to support me and provide me tools for long term sobriety. Honestly, I had a lot of "false starts", it was only until I was DONE that I could put it behind me and put all that energy into feeling better. Just quitting drinking wasn't enough, I had to get other support, and most people that have been through this would agree. I hope you find what works, I know I had to be willing to try ANYthing to get to where I am now. It's the best thing I have ever done for my life.

Oh, and I wanted to add.. I still dont enjoy being around it. I don't go to bars, and I don't hang out with drinkers much anymore.. I'm just too busy, and have other interests. I don't hang out with the same friends, as they were just drinking pals. It's a whole life change..