Thread: Career question
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 09:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
murrill

Liz,
Smart choice to do some investigation and to come to the source when making a career decision. I am a recovered alcoholic and a counselor by trade & training. I was sober several years before I started working in an inpatient treatment facility. Since then I have worked in outpaitient and DWI facilities. I have a Masters degree in rehabiliation counseling, and that qualifies me to work with any number of disabling conditions: Substance abuse, mental health, developmental, and physical. By far the most rewarding job was working inpatient substance abuse. Unfortunately, it is very insurance driven, and sometimes the patient census dwindles. That could mean lay-offs or furloughs, so job security is something to consider. It can also be a thankless job, so I think it is important to do it because you have a pssion for it. If you begin to measure your job satisfaction by the number of people who are successful in sobriety, you might be disappointed. I had to learn to detach, to know I had done what was reasonable for the right reasons. A question that people in human services should always ask: Whose needs am I meeting?
I think that passion and compassion are more important than having been an addict. Someone else mentioned getting some "hands on" experience through volunteerism, and I think that is a very good idea. At the very least, you seem to have a general idea of your career direction. Degrees in social work, mental health, psychology--especially Masters degrees---can open any number of doors for you. Good luck, and I hope we have helped.