Thread: Career question
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 08:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Liz24601

Career question

Hello all..

I found this forum by looking up careers. I'm a junior in high school and have presently been considering a career in a rehab facility, or at least social work in general. I've learned about different positions and such, but have a question after reading some topics in this forum.

I've never done any kind of drug or drank anything but church wine and am not really close personal friends with anyone who has been in an addiction. My inspiration comes from solely movies (I know that sounds horrible to say..) and family friends' stories as well as posts from this site.

But before I start taking classes on this subject, I want your opinion of if it's too out-of-the-blue since I have no real close personal experience, and if it's even fair to try helping people when I haven't ever truly experienced what they're going through.

I'm still reading up all that I can about this subject, and only feel more passionately about a career of this sort every time I learn something new. Have always loved helping people, and being able to assist a group of people no one else seems to really understand and for the most part look down upon like they mean to do what they do, I'd really feel it would be an honor.

I guess I'm basically wondering if the fact this comes from no personal experience is viewed as unfair to people who have gone through something like this and continue to do so..?

Thank you for your time in reading this