View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 07:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
tyler
Not all better, getting better

I know where you are coming from, I've been there myself for a long time. I was able to let go of the binging for the most part a few months ago, and have been completely sober a couple of weeks. Not a long time, but a start. Pot was my primary DOC and I've been clean from that for about 10 months, but that's another story.

For me, I think it's really come down the not just admitting, but truly believing that this behavior is really a problem. I never really suffered any consequences from my drinking, other than some hangovers, and I rarely even got those, even though I'd drain from 2/3 to a whole bottle of rum in an evening. I experimented with only "social drinking" but found that even though I had some control over it, it would almost always end up drinking more than I intended and would usually eventually end up binging again.

I'm not out of the woods by any means. I've got a long weekend coming up in a few weeks, where the booze will be flowing freely. I still haven't quite came up with a plan for how I'm going to deal with it.

It can be helpful to have someone to hold you accountable, but at the end of the day, you are the only person who can truly hold yourself accountable. It is nobody elses responsibility to call you out and it shouldn't be. That's not to say that reaching out for support is not a good idea. You've already done that here, face to face meeting may be helpful as well. But somehow you have to make the decision not to drink and stick to it. Nobody forces alcohol down your throat. Look at why you made that decision to drink those times and see if you can address those issues.

Like I said, I'm still a work in progress with the booze, I'm sure there are a lot of others with longer term sobriety who will offer their assistance as well. Wishing you all the best. Take care