View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 09:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
wichitalineman

Friday nights are interesting in early recovery. I've had a wide spectrum of Friday nights. The first few weeks was early to bed and wake up feeling rested. The last few weeks have been a bit all over the place, where now it's past 5am and I am still awake... still, I had visitors in town all week who just left, and I know that's why I am up so late (because I slept literally all day to catch up on sleep from all the tourist 'traps' we just hit up, yuk yuk).

On my one venture out of the house today early in the evening (when I finally sauntered out of bed), I passed, as usual, an entire legion of drinkers just getting settled into their Friday night drinks. I, with Starbucks firmly in hand and Chopin on the iVictrola, walked around alone and watched as another Friday evening of debauchery commenced. Without me.

Early sobriety isn't easy. I can't say I want to be on the other side, though. Not at all in any way, shape or form. When I wake up mid afternoon tomorrow (aka later today, double yuk yuk) and I don't have a hang over - everything will be absolutely, 10 thousand percent worth it. And I'll be able to spend whatever's left of my Saturday not hungover, not drunk, and not thinking about being drunk or hungover. I will get on with life. The clarity I have these days... would not be possible if I 'just had one' this evening. I wouldn't trade my sobriety in for anything in the world. Not even for a Friday night drink round the pub. And I KNOW that is when I have made the change from a drunkard, to sanity, for good. Thank the maker!

Stayinfree, I congratulate you on your 7 days of sobriety! Hang in there, it only gets better and better!