Old 03-12-2010, 07:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
littlefish

Some of the tools that can be useful in avoiding that first glass can be challenging.

I avoided going to my neighborhood AA for months, so I could maintain the option of shopping at my neighborhood liquor store. Of course, I told myself that "I was nervous about seeing someone I knew". But, that wasn't the real reason: I wanted the option of shopping at my local liqour store when I relapsed, and not being seen by AA people.

In the very, very beginning, almost 3 years ago this summer, when I first thought seriously about quitting, I would quit for periods of days, but not tell my husband about it. That left the option open for me to start drinking again without my husband raising his eyebrows in surprise and puzzlement.

Finally, when I told him I was quitting drinking, it shut a lot of doors: after I told him, there was no more ordering wine at restaurants with him, no more drinking wine at home with him.

I relapsed countless times after I made the decision to quit, and a lot of the relapses happened because I had left myself options for drinking....I guess I wasn't just ready yet.

I'm not saying you are doing that, but, that was my experience with relapses.