View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 02:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
intention
Don't resist, allow

You posted in the Step study as well, I'm just pasting my reply here as well.

Hi, well done on 120 days and going to meetings and working with your sponsor.

Originally Posted by LKKPA View Post
My current problem is whenever I attend AA meetings or meet with my sponsor or work on the steps (I'm currently on step 2), I start craving a drink.
According to the Big Book this is not a craving for drink. This disease of alcoholism is made up for a physical craving in the body and a mental obsession. If you are at step 2 you would have read about this in the Dr's Opinion.

The physical craving of the body is removed quite quickly and easily in a matter of days of being sober. It will only appear again if we take the first sip of alcohol back into our body and then the cravings start and will be overwhelming. This is why the advice is to always stay away from the first drink.

What you are experiencing is the mental obsession to drink. This is very different and cannot be removed by quitting drinking. This obsession of the mind tells us to drink even when the body doesn't need it. It tells us to drink when we are least expecting it. It is "cunning, baffling and powerful" to the point it will tell us to drink even when we are doing lots to keep ourselves sober.

The only way that I was able to remove this mental obsession to drink was working all the Steps. It promises us in the Big Book at Step 10 that "the problem has been removed" - p84-85

I just wanted to know if meetings, sponsors and doing the steps are a trigger for others. If so, how do I get beyond this?
If you are like me then the only way to get beyond this is to work all the Steps.
The longer you stay where you are you are, you are fighting this obsession of the mind on will-power and will-power will eventually run out.

You need a Power greater than your own will-power so you can recover from this mental obsession. I would suggest you speak to your sponsor and look to working through the rest of the steps thoroughly......but quickly.
Good luck.