Old 03-10-2010, 11:00 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  
shockozulu
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by allport View Post
Alera since you are such a big Torville and Dean fan I wonder if you have had a chance to catch their UK show Dancing on Ice?

It is a basic teach famous people to do something format but since ice dancing is so difficult and at times dangerous it is a lot of fun, and some of the stars have turned out to be amazingly talented (the ones who are rubbish are funny too).

Best bit for an ice dance fan though is that Torville and Dean do a routine each week, I was going to say considering their age they are awesome but when I think about it they are still world class never mind their ages.
I so wish that I could see that show. ITV won't let me see it online here in the US, but I'll try to find another place to see it tomorrow. I do have several video tapes of T&D though, including a rare 1990 seminar they gave in Sun Valley on everything from choreography to compulsory dances. My other faves are the BBC's Path to Perfection which was made to promote them before the 1984 Olympics. Finally I have a very interesting video of theirs with the 1991 Russian All Stars show.

When I skated, I was always best when it came to figures. To this day, I can stand on the ground with my skates on and feel my edges. I've actually done a double toe loop in the parking lot with my blade guards on!

When they open the new rink up here (in about two years) my plans are to go into Ice Dancing. I've already pulled out Carlo Fassi's book as it has a great section on the many turns needed in figures (and ice dancing).