View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 04:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

Thank you ((Sarah)) and everyone else.

For the newcomers who don't know my story, I'll try to make this short. I was a nurse, got in the habit of abusing opiates and got in trouble. I stopped those, never had withdrawals or any problem stopping, went to AA, got a sponsor, etc. Unfortunately, I met a guy there, did NOT listen to my sponsor, and got all wrapped up in him (I'm a codie, too).

He introduced me to crack. Two days later, I did something to cause me to run from the law for the first time in my life. Within 2 months, I was walking the streets, jumping into strange cars, had gotten another ABF with a 20+ year history of smoking crack.

I did this until I got locked up for violating probation (never went - too busy smoking) and stayed clean for the better part of a year after that, but I JUST stayed clean. I didn't change anything about me.

I relapsed for about 2 weeks...long enough to do a good amount of damage. After that, I said "enough".

I've been in 2 robberies, dealt with family deaths, my XABF's death, addiction of my stepmom who lives in the same house, loss of my job and a few other things in the last year and few months. I don't use. No matter what.

Today, I thank HP for giving me another chance. I spend a lot of time on SR, as well as e-mailing friends I have met here. I reconnected with family/friends who are extremely supportive. I began working on my codie issues. I've been chipping away at legal/financial/career consequences as I can. I try to give my 16-year-old niece someone to look up to. I still use what I learned in AA, but I've also picked up things that work, for me, along the way...it may be from a song, a billboard, just something someone said. When I struggle, I talk to a recovering friend, then I play the tape through to the end.

SR has been a HUGE part of my recovery, and I thank everyone for being here.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy