Thread: Newbie
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 02:04 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  
NEOMARXIST

Originally Posted by angharad View Post
. I've only got myself to blame because i'm an alcoholic.
Hi angharad. That's great progress you've made there as now you have admitted what you are then you can begin your recovery from your alcoholism!

Maybe you are done now and I have heard it said in a meeting I went to from a bloke with 30+ years sobriety that his rockbottom was similar to yours. Not a mad bender or anything like that but simply one drink that simply sucked the life out of him and he knew right there and then that he was beaten and done with alcohol.

It takes what it takes and you sound like you're at the point where you are done with it. 26 days will soon come around 'one dat at a time' and when it does it will be a real milestone for you and you will be feeling really positive. That's how it was for me on day 38 anyway!

You should be proud that you walked away after that one glass as it's something I couldn't have done. My mind would have said to me "well you've lost your sobriety now so you may as well go out all guns blazing" You've saved yourself all of that madness. So I think you've done remarkably well there.

Accept your alcoholism and it can be a new beginning for you. Just don't drink one day at a time and you will never have to feel like you did today again. Alcoholism is a strange thing that only other alcoholics can possibly empathise with. 'Normal' people could never appreciate how just taking one drink could cause such angst and turmoil mentally and emotionally. I understand how you feel and hearing how you are feeling helps me remember too.

Be honest and true to yourself in relation to other people. You don't need to tell them you're an alcoholic but also don't cower and make up some cringe-worthy excuse about being on anti-biotics or any of that crap. Just tell em straight. You've drank enough for your life-time and leave it at that. They will get the message.

It is good that you have posted today and been honest as it would be easy to shy away from SR and slip back into drinking again and then being back to where you were before. You never need to drink ever again, one day at a time.

peace and Love x