View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 07:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
allport

Ha who knew that not being able to sleep without some noise was so common?

I use the TV or audio books rather than a fan (I live in the chilly north), since I sleep badly anyway I tried the common advice to have a completely dark and quiet bedroom and I didn't sleep for a week.

I had to keep getting up to check the windows and door because I kept 'hearing' people outside trying to get in (the adult version of monsters under the bed I suppose).

Every counsellor or psychotherapist I have seen has seemed to think there must have been some kind of massive trauma or abuse in my childhood, I have been asked about it by more than a few friends too.

The weird thing is there was no trauma of any kind (bar the usual teen angst), when I was a member of AA I did a very comprehensive step 4 which included (by my sponsors request) a total life history which also included asking other members of my family for their memories and I have a good recall of my life from a pretty early age and why I am the way I am is a mystery still.

This is partly why I am set on behavioural treatments for my many problems, I spent a lot of time and energy doing counselling etc and searching for root problems and it just didn't help.

I am not dismissing this route, for those who it helps it is great, but for me I think it is a dead end.

Sorry I am rambling now nice thread Tyler.