View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 06:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Emmy69

Hi Needs2. Your situation sounds very similar to mine. I recently found this site and have found it very helpful. I'm on day 8 of my recovery and really feel more empowered than I ever have. But I can relate to much of what you said. I'm close to retirement, heavy drinker much of my life and an avid golfer. Drinking and golf seem to go hand in hand. The 19th hole has ended many a recovery. Also my wife is a heavy drinker and doesn't feel the need to quit like i do.

One thing that helped is a I found another guy that I play golf with that also knew he drank too much and wanted to do something about it. We kind of danced around the issue of admitting we're alcoholics and committing to quit for a long time. But once we had "the conversation" and opened up it made a lot of things easier. If you drop a couple hints about the subject at your next 19th hole gathering you may be surprised the number of people that think the same way you do.

As far as your spouse that is a tough one. Bottom line though is you need to make up your own mind and decide for yourself what's right for you. You can't change him or force him to quit with you. But if he see's you're successful maybe he may want to join you. That hasn't been the case in my situation, but I'm not letting that slow me down.

My big challenge is coming up in April when I go on my annual golf trip to Myrtle Beach with the guys. 4 days of golf and debauchery with 16 knuckleheads. Lots of drinking. I love golf too much to cancel, but I know it's going to be tough.

Anyway I'm pulling for you and keep posting on the site. it really helps expressing your feelings!

Think Spring!