Thread: Newbie
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 04:18 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  
NEOMARXIST

All of my family know I am an alcoholic pretty much. Even told my Gran the other day as to why i haven't drank for 8 months. You know what? My brother had already been telling her I was an alcoholic at least a year ago. Git! lol.

Everyone I work with know that I don't drink. If they press me as to why they are very clear as to why! I appreciate everyones circumstances are different, particularly being in your line of work, but embracing being a recovering alcoholic means that situations like what happened won't happen so much.

If you really want to stay sober it might be a good idea to be straight with everyone. I know it was liberating for me and really showed my alcoholism that I mean business! No-more leaving "boltholes" to run to as Dee puts it.

Also remember to 'tell' on yourself before you take the drink!! Not afterwards it's too late then! Could you have just told your sister straight? Difficult I know but neccessary maybe?

Anyway good that you came back here and the 25 days aren't wasted. I had 37 days on June 5th 09 and had my medical to get my driving license back, which I lost for two years for drinking-driving, and then celebrated by going on a 3 day bender. Straight back into AA Monday evening and then repeated exactly the same thing a few weeks later but the binge lasted 7 days. It takes what it takes but I know that I only reached where i reached by taking alcohol and drug abuse to the limit to an extent where I knew I would be dead within 3-5 years probably from suicide because of the emotional/mental battering my binges took me on.

keep The Faith