View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010, 04:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
littlefish

The major problem for me is that my husband drinks heavily also, and every time I tell him I want to quit, he tells me that is our lifestyle and I have nothing to worry about. Also, all my friends here drink.
I felt exactly the way that you did. I described my drinking as "our" lifestyle. I thought it would be almost impossible to quit as long as my husband continued to drink. However, when I went chronic and my life was completely unmanagable, my husband began to worry about it. He never confronted me about my drinking, but his angry moods and silence is the way he expressed his concern.

Is there anyone else that has had to deal with this type of situation? If so, please tell me how you managed it. I know I have to quit, but do not know how. I could use some help, please.
I finally decided that it was my journey, and whatever happened with our mutual drinking lifestyle, (which was heavy drinking on weekends, three nights a week), would just..... happen.
It hasn't really created any problems at all. In fact, my husband's alcohol consumption has gone down. He does have a problem with major holidays, because he doesn't like drinking alone on New Years and the like, but it's only a couple of days a year that this happens.
It's not important to him or anyone else that I drink a soda water with a twist of lime at the bar or at parties. I thought that people would expect me to drink or make a big deal of my not drinking. Well, nobody noticed and nobody cared.