View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010, 02:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
need2bsober

Newbie needing help

I have been an alcoholic all of my adult life and now my husband and I are retired. When I was working, I did not drink daily, but drank way too much on the days I did. Now that I no longer work, the drinking has gotten to the uncontrollable point and is now daily. I play golf and it seems that going into the bar after golf is the norm, then I get home and do not even remember how I got here. I hate not being in control. Last night I do not even remember eating. The major problem for me is that my husband drinks heavily also, and every time I tell him I want to quit, he tells me that is our lifestyle and I have nothing to worry about. Also, all my friends here drink. I enjoy my life but do not enjoy feeling out of control with drinking. I have at least 6 drinks of liquor a day and I know I am abusing my body. When I am not drinking, I stay physically active and eat healthy, then I blow all my hard work with alcohol. I don't know how to do this when everyone around me drinks. Is there anyone else that has had to deal with this type of situation? If so, please tell me how you managed it. I know I have to quit, but do not know how. I could use some help, please.