View Single Post
Old 03-06-2010, 05:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Omega10

MSR, take comfort in knowing you are not alone. There are many times where I want it all now, too. I think to myself "I gave up drinking, so now I should have the promotion. Now I should have that wonderful relationship. etc etc."

It reminds me of a commercial on TV here where they have the "Easy" button. You press it, and everything falls into place. But how much fun would life be if all we had to do was press the "easy" button?

At the time I was first getting sober, I really wanted things to get better all at once. Now, in retrospect, it was actually pretty cool to see little things get better every day. One day it was discovering I was sleeping better. One day I discovered I no longer had bags under my eyes. Slow and steady is better because it helps to carry you from one day to the next. Each small improvement you see is added onto the other improvements and gives you momentum.

One of the areas I go to on this site when I am feeling like there is nothing good in my life, or that things aren't happening fast enough, is the "Gratitude List". It reminds me to stop fretting about the things I don't have, and to start enjoying the things I do have.

Hang in there and stay strong!