View Single Post
Old 03-06-2010, 04:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
intention
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by Emmy69 View Post
Thanks HPS, those are all good points. Your reply along with many others give strong arguments for AA and probably at some point I'll try it. One other concern I have I hesitate to bring up which is confidentiality. I know that it's strictly against the rules for attendees to ever discuss who else attends but...... I live in a small town. I may be paranoid about it but like I said I live in a small town and I don't want other people knowing my problems unless I want to tell them.

Hi and welcome to SR.

I work the AA 12 step program and I believe in God. I do not go to church. I don't think you will ever find me in a church (although never say never) as that type of God is not something I can relate to. I thank God, that AA is not religious!

You have have your own concept of God. There are lots of AAs, who won't even mention God because the term doesn't work for them - they will talk about their Higher Power. Or in other words a power higher than themselves. All you need to ask yourself is, are you the greatest power there is? If not, then surely you can believe in a power greater than yourself.

There are AAs who also go to church but I have also heard them share that they are lonely in church but in AA they never feel alone. Being with people who understand exactly what this disease is that we suffer from is very important.

Steps 4 through to 9 are the ones which help us to remove the things which block us from our higher power and enable us to recover from alcoholism. I have learned so much from working these steps about me and how I think and why I do the things that I do which I would never have learned with counselling/therapy.

A lot of AAs have tried this route and even if they found it useful, they still needed AA. AA has people working its program from all walks of life and that includes counsellors and therapists. Why would they be working the 12 step program if counselling and therapy could solve all the problems?

If you do choose to go to therapy, I would suggest you research the therapist and find one who has a good reputation for working with alcoholism.

As to sharing in a meeting, you don't have to. Even if you do, you don't have to share everything about yourself. We share our experience, strength and hope and we share our story in a "general" way. Yes, some people share everything in the rooms and that is fine but I share the private things in my life only with my trusted sponsor.

Many are reluctant to share and take quite some time before they feel able to talk in front of people but when they do, they are relieved and excited about how they feel. Sharing is very powerful.

Do you ever get out of town? If you do, why not try some meetings in an area where you know you are not going to know the people.

However you choose to recover, please keep posting here at SR. It's a fantastic resource.
take care.