View Single Post
Old 03-05-2010, 04:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

Neo, it sounds like for where you are at time wise in sobriety you really have your head screwed on straight, keeping your sobriety #1 no matter what I too found is the key! Keep doing what you are doing now & moving forward in your journey.

There is no more music festivals for me this year, no camping holidays, no Friday/saturday nights on the wreck, no mad erands etcetcetc.
Neo I can tell you for me by taking the steps to heart & applying them to all areas of my daily life that I have no problems at all going places where drinking is going on, I go to wedding receptions, birthday parties, celebrate all the holidays with family and have no problems at all handling them.

There are promises tied to every step, I have found them to all having come true to one degree or another, as a result of the steps & my HP my drinking problem has been lifted. That is not to say that I just go on with life, there are things I do daily to maintain my spiritual fitness.

I can attest that most people I know in AA that have taken the steps & are applying them daily to all areas of thier life have had thier drinking problem lifted as well.

My experience has been that once I had done steps 4 & 5 my drinking problem was all but gone, applying all the steps to all areas of my life daily has resulted in me being able to live life fully doing what ever I wish, where ever I wish, with who ever I wish happily sober with only a rare fleeting thought of "Man that beer looks good!".

It sounds like you are doing what is best for you in early sobriety, with time & the steps things will get far better, concerts & even being in a band & doing gigs may very well be possible.

Before getting back into a band & doing gigs you may want to take a close look at your motives for doing so...... Is it the music you want or is it the whole deal that goes with it besides music?

BTW there are bands that are made up of all sober & clean folks that do gigs, some are folks in AA & some are not.

Once you are on solid ground with sobriety I would suggest that you seek out such bands, if you do so you will find them, they are out there.