View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 10:37 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
intention
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by Houndheart View Post
I am new here. And I am pretty new to really working on sobriety. This time I want it to stick.

I was at a friend's house drinking a soda the other night..when another friend came in. She poured herself a wine, and started to make a toast to something...and she held her glass up to "clink" with the other 4 people at the table..and I raised my glass up to clink hers, when she started to move her glass towards me to do the ritual clinking of my glass, then stopped herself midway and then said, "oh, no...never mind."

That threw me, and I said, "Muriel, just because I am drinking soda, I cannot join in the toast!??!!" And I proceeded to clink her glass.

I guess some people just do not know what to do. It upset me at first, but now I think it's just strange and a bit comical.

As a newbie to sobriety I guess I will be running into a lot of little strange actions on the part of friends...probably particularly drinking friends.

Anyone want to join any other stories, funny or stupid, or downright crazy and drink tempting kind of actions or words from friends/acquaintances now that you have stopped drinking, and how you handled them?
Hi HH,

I think people in general just have trouble dealing with people who are "different". It's got nothing to do with you or the alcohol. If you look out around in any social situation you will see people avoiding or reacting strangely to the person who is "different".

I have issues with food as well as alcohol and I am well used to people struggling to deal with that.... with "why aren't you eating?" in a restaurant. My experience of this is if your recovery is such that the obsession to use the substance has gone, then you will deal with social situations well.

If you are not at that stage, then it may be wise to avoid the situations until you are. I have found that these types of comments from people, even the strange ones which can be comical and can drain you over time.