View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 08:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Toronto68

Gr8, that is right, it's not her first post and she is learning how to deal with her own thoughts and the comments of others. I relate to it in my own way. I don't know the reason for alcohol being in that situation (at someone else's house), but the assumption I have is that she did not drink. She and God know for sure. Now she is talking about the experience; that is how she copes.

To answer your question, I have not had anything to drink since I stopped in November. (Nov 18) I have been to one party (2 Saturdays ago) that I forced myself to go to because I would have enjoyed my evening by myself more than to be with them but it was for someone's birthday. I was the only person not drinking, 15 or 20 other people were (and more). I was fine, and the alcohol around me was the least of the things that bothered me about the evening, it was misplaced commentary by others that annoyed me and made me stew about it, like Hound has done.

I don't think it is point-blank "okay to be around people who drink." I am not that black and white about it. The approach I am taking is that Hound, like any of us, has to be her own agent and has to live in this world with its challenges. If it isn't the right environment for her to be in, then she has to be the one to realize it and avoid it, with her own understanding. That is one of the things I learned from people in AA. I didn't learn from people in AA that she should never be around people that drink in early sobriety. To me, that would be over-sheltering a person, like a precious china doll. This is a person who deserves to feel her own strength through her decisions and also when she has no choice in the matter (like when somebody comes out with wine all of a sudden).

I feel "taxed" after engaging in this.