Thread: Just ramberling
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010, 01:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
tyler
Not all better, getting better

I'm in a similar place as you Sax. I've pretty much given up the binge drinking that was a problem and the pot that was the biggest problem. These are good things, and a massive improvment from where I was this time last year, when I was drinking about a half liter of whiskey or rum a night and a couple ounces of weed a week.

However, I've "tested the waters", so to speak, a couple of times in the last couple of weeks, going out with friends. I've never really considered "social drinking" to really be a problem for me, but I've found that both times I went out, I drank more than I intended to. So I still need some work there.

The best thing I can suggest is, even if you aren't honest with anyone here, at least be honest with yourself. I know sometimes that is the hardest person to be honest with!! Don't begrudge yourself of the progress you've made, but be realistic about where you are and what your goals truly are. I've always found a cost/benifit analysis to be helpful. Look at the positives of drinking (helps you be more social, like the buzz, etc.) as well as the negatives (health issues, problems in your personal or professional life, legal issues) and see how things stack up.

I have the same issues as you do as far as socializing without alcohol. I've avoided most social situations for the last several months because I wasn't drinking. Now I've accepted the "social drinking" and am not happy with the results. Something has to give. I hope some of this helps, I'm sure you will get a number of other opinions as well. Take care.