View Single Post
Old 02-28-2010, 01:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zandre

Originally Posted by Wormzer3 View Post
I just kicked a 7 month oxycodone habit and am feeling so much better. My life is changing in ways I could have only dreamed of a few months ago.

My question is concerning my now ex-girlfriend. She had the same problem with oxycodone that I did and instead of going to medical detox like me she has been weening herself off of the drug with the assistance of her doctor.

This is the scenario. As of last week she was taking one 30mg oxycodone every 4 hours. I just got off the phone with her and she says that she has switched over to methadone. Now she is taking two 10mg methadone every 4 hours and thinks that she has cut down her consumption by 10mg. I was furious when I heard this because I was under the impression that methadone has a much greater half life than oxycodone. After a long discussion I still had not convinced her that she had actually increased her dosage and not decreased.

After doing alittle research I found out the half lifes of the two medications.
Oxycodone = 3-4.5 hrs Methadone = 24-36 hrs. I am not quite sure how half lifes work but it seems to me that the ammount of drugs in her system has increased tremendously.

My question is this. Did she actually increase her dosage and therefore increase her bodies opiate tolerance? If so how much is the equivalent of 120mg methadone per day to 180mg of oxycodone per day? Can anyone explain this in more detail to me?

If anyone could settle this with actual medical data it would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading and your replies.
Wormzer. Most of us probably won't be able to answer the half-life questions here. I'd consider taking this question to justanswer.com (thats assuming you don't have access to her doctor) they have board certified MDs, Nurses, etc that can answer that question much easier than any of us. It has helped me in the past with certain questions.

Hope this helps.