View Single Post
Old 02-27-2010, 04:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
pebbles1
Susan

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tragami View Post
Hey,

A couple of thoughts to consider. Maybe one of them might be your situation and you're stuck in that situation where we don't realize it until someone else says it to us.

- you're avoiding doing it because there's something about it that you fear, or you perceive that something will result from it that you are afraid of confronting

- you haven't forgiven yourself for things you've done in the past

- struggling with Step 3 (taking your will back)

- overconfidence (believe you're 'cured')

- there's something you don't want to let go of yet

- your priorities in life have changed and you didn't realize it (where does sobriety rank?)

- you're just not ready yet

- you've actually completed it, just in a less than formal manner

- still struggling with the God as we understood Him concept

Good luck. Hope one of these lights the bulb for you.
hmmm all very good points.....forgiving myself for things I did in the past....definately a work in progress. I think I'm pretty good on step three and my higher power it really is what keeps me sane! lol I think it really boils down to fear of letting go of behaviours although I'm quite conscious of them and try to let go of them on a daily basis. I actually stumbled onto this site when I was doing a search for a list of character defects that I could look over and see if any fit for me (I'm not a great judge of my own character ... lol) I looked over the forum on step 6 and realized I need to look over my step 4 again to find them......basically it all seems to boil down to fear...although I am definitely controlling and pretty self centered along with a whole other list of things....lol

As far as where recovery ranks....it's way, way up there....I eat live and breath recovery....I'm in recovery, my partner is in recovery, myself and my girlfriend run a grassroots organization geared towards helping mom's and pregnant women new to recovery (drop in, mentorship program, support group) we currently have an average of 25 mom's at our centre on a daily basis, I attend NA meetings, I'm vice chair of our Area in NA, and I speak regularly at our local treatment centre! add in being a mom of a 16 year old and a 3 year old and quite frankly I'm freaking exhausted and don't know when to get my laundry done let alone my steps lol So really what I need to do is put my recovery ahead of others recovery and get going on my steps!

Thank you! I think I'm really going to like this site. I find I am so often surrounded by people new in recovery that it's not very often anyone will call me on my **** let alone make suggestions I need to hear.