Thread: Newbie
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2010, 12:35 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
NEOMARXIST

Always remember that all those others who are like wtf? are not alcoholics! Never forget that! They can drink in moderation or whatever and a night drinking at a meal/party ain't gonna f*ck their life totally up!

Remember the saying "this too shall pass". It always does. Accept that the mourning/grieving of alcohol is a natural thing for an alcoholic getting sober. If it weren't then there would be no need for AA/SR et al.

Just accept the mourning/grieving as being part of the process and try to see the humour in all of this when you can. I know that is hard at times but I often make jokes to people about my situation and past and it really helps me + others find it funny too that I have such acceptance and humour about it all!. They will never know the mental depths that alcoholism took me too though.

I weren't laughing in court losing my license for two years though wondering wtf has happened to my life or sitting in a park drinking superstrength alone. I remember just thinking WTF is it all about... life.

Just remember also that if booze did to others what it does to you then they wouldn't drink. Sounds obvious but it's so true.

Also I know my situation is totally different to yours and cannot be compared but while I don't openly tell people I am an alcoholic, they can pretty much read between the lines by what I say if pressed. This helps me keep rigid in my acceptance too as I have to be totally honest to myself. I find when you own what you say people don't answer back.

Also just keep it all totally in the day. If your thinking gets out of today then you're in trouble. Realise when this is happening and get to a AA meeting and share and reach out to others who have been there or get on SR and bash your feeling out on the keyboard. Whatever happens crucially don't take that first drink up or else you'll do what nearly all alcoholics do and bail out when the going gets tough.

ALso in recovery I developed faith. Something which i never had before really. Not to do with any religion or anything like that but a faith in the Good orderly Direction of what I knew was right and wrong and good and bad. The faith in previous recovering alcoholics and drug addicts who told me I was doing well and to stick with it and told me that they had been where I was.

I saw the Love and peace in recovery compared to the sordid and seedy world of alcohol and drug abuse.

Also I know it's hard but to stay sober I think it has to NO1 priority in life so maybe think about cutting out too many occassions where drink will be around being drunk by 'normies'. It can all get a bit of a "oh my life is over moment" and that is just what your alcoholic mind will latch onto.

Peace and Love xxx