View Single Post
Old 02-26-2010, 07:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
JennyT

Originally Posted by Shellslove View Post
I totally heard myself in this post Jenny. My DOC was Tramadol too and I know what a nightmare this can be. I was on that same rollercoaster as you (online purchasing, energy and highs, crashing lows and w/ds.) I don't have children but I can imagine how difficult it is to take care of others when you're having trouble with yourself. My fiance is an addict too Jenny (not trams, harder stuff) - but we are now in recovery together. As others here have mentioned, you really need to see a doctor and please don't C/T without seeking medical supervision. You are on a slippery slope that could end up in seizures, and that really scares me for you and your kids. My Dr told me that the w/d is so horrific b/c as well as the opiate like properties of the trams they have SNRI (anti-depressant) properties. Think about the number of these things we take everyday - that's dangerous enough, but it can be even more dangerous to suddenly take this away. BUT it can be done SAFELY with medical supervision and either a taper plan or an alternative medically planned detox. Have you looked around at state funded assistance, free health clinic services, Medicaid etc?

Welcome to SR! You're at the right place!

Thank you for sharing that with me! I had a seizure the 3rd month I was on Tramadol, way back in 2003. Of course it wasn't enough to stop me - how freakin sad is that? I have noticed a HUGE difference in the quality of the Tramadol from back then compared to now. I think it used to be a lot more potent but that could all be in my head, too. Back then, I only had to take 7 or 8 per day. It was only in the last year and a half that I have started taking 15 - 20. I know a lot of that has to do with my tolerance but I still think that Tramadol made today is much weaker than in past years and it stopped giving me the Superwoman feeling quite some time ago.

Can I ask you how long it took to get back to your normal self? Are you happy again with life in general now that you are off the drug? I think I am trying to find someone who will tell me what I want to hear; I know that is kinda pathetic but I am craving some kind of reassurance that I will feel better down the road.

I wish we did qualify for Medicaid but our income level is too high. My husband just got a great new job in January but he is not eligible for health insurance until he has been there for 6 months. My job, although it is a great one, doesn't offer insurance because it is such a small outfit. I know that the money we would save from not buying pills would more than cover insurance premiums for us. I think our plan is to order a few more bottles of Tramadol, get a little money together, buy independent health insurance and then go see a doctor who is willing to help.

I greatly admire people who can go cold turkey but I am simply not one of them. I don't think we will pursue methadone - I don't want to trade one addiction for another - but surely there is something that can help us out.

Again, thank you so much for sharing your experience. Congratulations on getting your life back in order!