View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 04:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Insulated

It centers around Paul and his addiction.

The best things you've done for yourself is reach out. My ABF started with pain pills, but moved onto other things and overdosed this past November and died. I wished I would've been slightly more prepared...this forum has opened up so many avenues for me to explore ***MYSELF***. The codependent no more book really helped me, and I wished I'd have read it closer to the times I saw active addiction blowing up his life. The criminal activity and all that comes with that, is the ONE thing that I distanced myself from. I was done driving him to court, sitting in the courtrooms waiting his turn, driving him to probation officers, being pigeon holed to one county because he had a GPS tracking device on his ankle for one crime, and probation for another. Your ABF is fully aware of the circumstances he's brought on himself, and he seems grateful to have you checking up on him, but how much energy can you expend on an addict and still do your job, have peace, sleep? The decision to let go isn't something you need to make right now, it's not an urgent thing, you have all the time you need to design a plan that is best for you to let go, when you're ready.