Old 02-24-2010, 12:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
NEOMARXIST

Don't get too hung up over the steps if it's gonna make you drink again. Remember that staying sober has to be No1 priority IMO. Do what you gotta do to stay sober. That seems to be overlooked by a few who I see at AA, Newcomers can often be scared off by too much rhetoric and talk racing ahead of the current day that they are living in. Just what I have personally witnessed over the last 9 months.

Take what you want and leave the rest is a saying that helped me a lot at AA. I know when AA meetings start to be more of a head-f*ck and a hinderence to my sobriety than a help. SO I take weeks away from meetings and work on my recovery using other means. When I can 'feel' the time is right to go back then I go back. I still keep in regular contact with others still attending but I have to do what is right for me and my sobriety.

Do what you got to do to keep sober and grateful about this. There is no right or wrong answer to anything in recovery. Keeping gratefully sober is a good indicator to evaluate if what you're doing is working.

there are no rules as to what you must do, only suggestions as to what has worked for others. Of course you can go to meetings without doing steps. Read the steps and the big book and apply the principles of them in your everyday life. Listen to other share at meetings and how they apply the steps to their life and then share how you apply the steps to your life. Before long you may find that you have what the others there want!

peace