Old 02-24-2010, 08:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

MrsFloppsy there are a ton of aethiest & agnostics in AA that have taken the steps and stayed sober long term. Some of them use AA as a whole as thier HP, others their home group, the universe or what ever works for them.

The hardest thing some folks find to believe about AA is that it is not religous.

This is part of "Bill's Story"

IT WAS ONLY A MATTER OF BEING WILLING TO BELIEVE IN A
POWER GREATER THAN MYSELF. NOTHING MORE WAS REQUIRED
OF ME TO MAKE MY BEGINNING. I saw that growth could
start from that point. Upon a foundation of complete
willingness I might build what I saw in my friend.
Would I have it? Of course I would!
This is out of the BB as well:

When, therefore, we speak to you of God, we mean
your own conception of God. This applies, too, to
other spiritual expressions which you find in this book.
Do not let any prejudice you may have against
spiritual terms deter you from honestly asking yourself
what they mean to you.
One of my first sponsee's started off as an agnostic, he now professes to be an aethiest! We went through the steps and he is going on 3 years sober now.

If the steps are not for you, don't do them, I know 2 folks with over 10 years sober that have never formally taken the steps, they just go to meetings, if you find that AA overall is not for you check out other programs, keep in mind that the fellowship is and will always be there for you whether you work the steps or not.

I was one of those who needed to take the steps to stay sober. Am I religous? Nope, but I do have a connection with a Power greater then me of my choosing and my understanding & things are going greeat for me for over 3 1/2 years.