View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 10:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Lionne
not little, a stranger no more

I think lack of self-worth is the root of drinking problems for many of us. It sure was for me. After all, why would I poison myself, if I cared?
And alcohol often validates those feelings, and helps it turn into a vicious cycle.
Anna and Goat, that is a pretty accurate description of how it was for me too...

And diva, I'm glad your first meeting was such a positive experience. I go to (secular) women's meetings too, actually I started only going to meetings several months into sobriety because I was too scared to go...and it was so worth getting over my fear too. Would it have been an less hard journey if I had gone earlier? Probably...

To all those who are still hesitant/afraid... just try it. The people there are going there for the same reasons as you, and were all scared too the first time. If you are afraid someone there will know you, well...the person will be there for tha same reason. Yopu can find people that can relate to you, chances are there will be people that have been in similar situations where you have been. No one will force you to go again if you don't want to.
And if you have the possibility to do so, it is absolutely ok to take a look at several different groups and to chose the one that suits you best.
So, you have a lot of support to win, and little to lose.