Thread: Another Day One
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 07:50 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
RacerX

Originally Posted by keithj View Post
I got sober when I became willing to go to any lengths to do so. Not a second before that. Pride in thinking I could hide or somehow manage my problem myself kept me drunk for many years.
I think this is a great quote from Keith, albeit a hard one to come to grips with for many, many people. That said, I'm 100% with Keith on this analysis.

I tried just over 4 years ago to get sober but I definitely was NOT willing to do anything/everything to get and stay sober. That lasted just short of a month before the booze train caught up to me again. It took 4 years of internal hell before I fully submitted to hitting rock bottom.

My sponsor told me that it's my choice regarding me being at rock bottom or just another ledge on the way down the abyss. Our actions show where we are. Someone at rock bottom will do anything to stay sober. Those on just another ledge will fight it tooth and nail.

I hope and pray that you'll put aside all of your worries regarding who will be at the meetings, any misgivings about what goes on at the meetings, etc, and simply go to one. What I think you'll find are a bunch of people like you (i.e. alcoholics) waiting with open arms to help and support you along your wonderful journey.

I wish you the very best and know that you've got a lot of other people here wishing you the same.

RacerX