Thread: Newbie
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 06:17 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
MacDuff

Day 3 (again)

Anghard ..well done on day 11.
Your story is very similar to mine. I'm a 'professional' (not in NHS) & everyone at work thinks I'm tee-total. None of my friends know I have a problem as I too do it in secret & don't drink during the day.....I thought it was only me who decanted vodka into lemonade bottles!!!

I did 37 sober days last year but stupidly thought I could have 'just a little vodka' ...but well I think we all know that it's not possible ....so off the wagon again

I went to my doctor & told him everything ....I've been drinking heavily for over 20 years......averaging over 120 units a week He was very helpful & has prescribed antabuse (which surprised me) I am now on day 3 & going to my first AA meeting this evening.

MY wife is the only one who knew about the problem (which we've kept a secret from everyone for these 20 years) Having tried & failed to stop for more years than I want to remember, I reckon that the only way to have a chance of stopping for good is to get all the help that you can, Doing it alone without the help of your close family & professionals is next to impossible.

Good luck & best wishes

nb...my first, & hopefully not last posting