Old 02-21-2010, 09:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
NEOMARXIST

Think of it this way... With acceptance of one's alcoholism then this gives one a very strong foundation to never take that first drink. You know that you are an alcoholic so this sets you apart from everyone else who you see drinking with impunity.

Without this then what is going to stop you from ending right back up where you are now again? Ok so you're a binge-drinker... Well so are most people out drinking in the UK on Thurs/Fri/Sat. So when they offer you a drink at a party/wedding/xmas/Nye/B'day whats stopping you from taking those drinks what everyone else is taking? Of course if you are merely a binge-drinker and not an alcoholic then wheres the problem with getting wasted anyway? Everyone else is doing it so just cut back and chill out on the sauce... easy right?

I too was a binge-drinker. It wasn't until I admitted that I am also an alcoholic that I stood a chance remaining sober, without just feeling toally p*ssed off about not drinking like everyone does every weekend.

I got sober at 23. I had been saying I had a problem for about 3 years before but couldn't see how I would be able to not drink. It was engrained in my identity from a young age. I was obsessed about booze... I loved the stuff.

I embraced Englands binge-drinking cultutre to the max. I was proud to be a wreckhead/mashead/party boy/rock n' roller/hardcore, anything but an alkie! ugggh dirty word.. they sit on park benches etcetc.

I just got sick and tired of the hopeless feeling off coming down off a binge. Alcoholism is progressive. My binges turned into 2/3 day benders. As long as I had booze, drugs and smokes then it was a party! Just me and my tunes, no police/bouncers or anyone to get in the way of getting totally wrecked.

Remember that alcoholism is a disease which will try to convince you that you ain't got it! Denial is a massive part of it and most alcoholics will deny there obvious problem to the death.

I ain't saying that you're an alcoholic. Only you can decide that but untill I accepted my alcoholism then my life would have been kept in the same depressive cycle of binges/dry weeks/binges etc.

All The Best.