Thread: I am tired
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 05:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
CrackQuack

((MAB)) I am sorry things didn't work out for you. I think most people, at some point, get in that kind of mood. I am not saying you specifically, but maybe others and then it rubs off onto even more people and we have a lot of frustration going on. Some addicts, sometimes, tend to come off as they think they are better than others because they have stayed clean for so long and have learned so much. This is, in part, why we listen to them, but take only what we need and leave the rest. Maybe someone else will learn something of value where we did not. And then there is tough love. Does it work? For some, it sure does. It always has for my uncle, who is a recovering heroin addict. It has NEVER worked for me, in my youth. Seemed the more they did to "teach" me a lesson, the harder I worked to show them the lesson wouldn't work. As a juvenile, I even got locked up twice. One in detention for a tough love program and once in a rehab. Both times only made me more bitter and angry. And more rebelious.
Anyway, the older I became, the more I calmed down and realized it was meant to teach a lesson. So, now, if someone does practice tough love, rather than get my panties in a bunch, I try to see what lesson they are teaching me. Not that it always works, but at least I try to take something from it.
Not saying this pertains to anything about you. Just giving a part of my story. I am REALLY GLAD you did not allow the bad experience to scare you off.
As far as making friends goes, what kinds of things do you like to do? Sports? Bingo (I have no idea how old you are)? Caring for animals? Do you like older people or same age? There are a bunch of things, out there, to get into, and meet people. I met my boyfriend on craigslist. We share a love of classic cars. Mine more towards the muscle car era, his more towards the really early models. But we work well together because we love cars. Who cares which ones, right? LOL. Maybe post an ad on craigslist looking simply for just friends. Someone to enjoy movies, sports, going shopping, seeing sights.. Stuff like that? Just a suggestion.
And I hope you feel much better soon. There are, literally, thousands of people here. Sure, we're not face to face, but it doesn't mean we cannot be friends nor does it mean we don't care. All types of personalities exist. So please keep coming back and just keep looking. It may seem hopeless sometimes, but it will happen. As addicts, we want everything right now and our way. It's hard to go through a period of time doing the same things over and over.. I mean, isn't that part of the definition of insanity? Well shake it up a bit and try something different. If there is something like, art, music, or whatever, you've never done.. Maybe try it.
And if you don't like the meetings, don't go. When I get tired of them, I don't go. It may or may not work for you, but how do you know until you try it? I really think meetings are the foundation of our recovery, but when you need a break, take a day or two, and take a break. Just try something different so you can avoid temptation.
Get another doctor too. If he/she seems that uncaring, find someone who seems more worth YOUR time and money.
*HUGS*