Thread: kinda lost
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 02:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
junar

Smile kinda lost

Hi I'm new here. Our 20 year old son has one addictive thing he does after another since he was a young teenager. Drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, video games. Every time he tries to quit, he starts something different. Currently he is playing "World of Warcraft" every free moment. He barricades himself in his room and refuses to see his friends. I wish he could get off the Ritalin, but without it he can't do his college classes. I kinda understand where he's coming from, I have anxiety and OCD issues myself, and focusing on a repetative, "numbing" thing is kinda soothing. We can't find an anti-depressant that works for him (I myself take Zoloft, it helps with the anxiety really well, but not so much with the OCD, and it lowers my libido), they all had some side-effects. My husband and I are hoping that he will eventually mature enough and by that time will not have destroyed to many brain cells. There are, dare I say, small indications that he is starting to become an adult. But we are still worrying like crazy.
Does anybody has a similar situation as we do? Is there a special forum for that here?

Thanks for any input, junar