View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 12:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
anono

but then again I think it would also be easier for the people around me to accept. I know It's me who needs to deal with all of this, and I need to do it on my own, it's just sometimes trying to explain it to people who just don't get it, or won't listen, is very tiresome.
hi betrue,

i'm glad you found this site, it has helped me so much. it is a place where we all understand

i also go to AA, and have found it to be essential to my recovery, i can feel my 'stinkin drinkin thinkin'' come back if i miss too many.

I just found some people, in particular one, who appeared to be there for a joke. Saying she'd had a drink the day before because of an argument and now her sobriety date had to start again. But that wasn't the crazy thing, it was the reaction, or lack of reaction to it that I thought was strange
lol, i think all groups have one of those, just like that family member everyone 'has one of!!"
ignore that and concentrate on listening, things will start to make sense, hang around older sober members (older as in length of time sober)
read the literature, get a sponser.. all things i was told to do, and i did them without even really knowing what would happen, i just knew i didnt want to go on like i was.

when i first went , i thought 'how stupid saying i'm an alcoholic, is that really necessary? i'm never saying that!"
they were telling stories of stuff that i had never done! but if i listened closely enough there was plenty of stuff in there i HAD done, and i knew it was a matter of time before i had done more, of the stuff they were talking about.

I was told when i started going to listen for the similarities, not the differences.

overall i found it to be a positive influence on my recovery, but i realise it is something i need to constantly work on.....

but life is great, and they tell me it just keeps getting better, if i just keep going back, so why wouldnt i??

good luck