View Single Post
Old 02-19-2010, 01:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
NEOMARXIST

Alright mate. I am 24 and got sober when I was 23. I was born and live in England.

I am a 'recovering' alcoholic. I too was a binge-drinker and can relate to the lost wallet, keys, stained clothes etc and not remembering what the hell happened. I used to passout on traffic roundabouts and get my head down for a bit in the bushes!! haha, used to be funny back in the day but then things got much darker and depressive and my alcoholism progressed. I too was a heavy binge-drinker when I gave up but alcoholism is progressive so if you're an alcoholic then eventually you will be drinking 24/7. Tramps don't start out that way usually!!

You sound like you have started off well by deleting all your phone no's and facebook page. Getting and crucially staying sober takes a total overhaul of your life to be honest mate. You have to place remaining sober as No1 priority above all else or else you will drink again. Sounds dramatic but if you're an alcoholic then without sobriety you may as well kiss goodbye to everything anyway.

What other people tell you is irrelevant mate as they won't be there when you are sitting in that police cell. I remember that well! Nobody wants to know you when you're down an out!

If you are an alcoholic then you need to accept that unless you change your thinking sufficiently then you will drink again. That is what 'recovery' programs such as AA are there for.

Alcoholism is as much a 'thinking' problem as it is a 'drinking' problem. SR is a great resource mate and there is much wisdom and support to be picked up from the good people who post.

If you can totally accept to your innermost self that you are not like the majority of people and that you're an alcoholic then you are half way there to remaining sober. It's a case of working on your psyche to change your attitute towards life and other people so that taking a drink doesn't cross your mind. Again the steps of AA can provide this.

This a daily reprieve that an alcoholic gets, so just take it one day at a time. "Just for today I will not drink". If you never take the first drink then you can't get drunk. That is why total acceptance of your alcoholism is essential if you're to have any chance of keeping sober, especially in UK with our drinking culture.

All The Best mate, Thanks for posting.