Thread: Relapse
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2010, 09:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
NEJeeper

I have been sober 53 days now. I white knuckled it for a week and half before I went to my first meeting. I was terrified to go in.

In my mind I had an image of a bunch of cartoonish drunken vagrants drinking coffee and smelling up the room or something. I think that was my drunk self imposing a ridiculous image in my mind to keep me from going in or something. I thought they might not accept or laugh me out like Bob Sagett did to Dave Chapelle in half baked.

When I pulled up to the church my heart was racing. I walked inside and sat down quietly. I saw coffee, I got up and poured a cup and grabbed a cookie. I sat back down and they all read off pages and I listened to a meeting. When I came in several people had shaken my hand and introduced themselves. Everyone was friendly. I put my dollar in the pot when it was passed.

Everyone was friendly, they were all cleanly and nice folks. They were understanding and accepting, and most of all they gave me hope. All my life I had seen drunks who were failing and seemed doom to die an alcoholic death. there was no hope I thought. Then I met these fine people and saw people that had gotten through worse than I had and were doing fine! I wasn't alone, I could recover through this disease.

For about 5 weeks I went 10+ meetings a week. Now I go to about 7-8 meetings a week, I had to slow down a little bit because of my school work. But once I feared it and now I look forward to AA every day and am sad i miss it on Sundays.

From one shooter to another not drinking definitely will improve your shooting. I am steadier with my AR and my 1911. But because I am an ******* and got a DUI I have to lock them up and can't touch them for a year because I am gonna be on probation, that is going to suck....Quit while you're ahead!

And think of all the ammo you can buy now with that beer money....