Old 02-18-2010, 05:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Insulated

I am riddled with guilt when I read this. Firstly, because when my D-ABF was in rehab, not just for alcohol, but opiates, when the initial detox was over, he was calling me saying how much he just wanted a beer. I remained silent. When I picked him up, he still had the $5.00 I'd sent him to rehab with, he walked right out the front doors, didn't kiss me, thank me for the ride, just wanted to go get a beer. I drove to the grocery store to gather the evenings groceries, and he went directly to the beer aisle. He drank the beer and it was before noon. Now, I on the other hand, would drink my wine, but late in the evenings. Before I knew it he was drinking my wine too. This went on for a couple of weeks, and before long he was back to drinking at 10:00 am straight out of the bottle. I feel that I shoulda, woulda, coulda, done more to intercept the desire for him, and set a better example by not having wine in the house or redirecting his attention the MINUTE he got out of rehab to something positive. I didn't realize that I inadvertently facilitated him!