View Single Post
Old 02-17-2010, 08:50 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Done_With_It
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by helpformyson View Post
My son has been through detox 4 times and the complete rehab once before. He has been in jail 4 times...all drug related.

This is the longest he has been in jail, because of the advice of his attorney, I bailed him out the three previous times. NOT THIS TIME.

The last time he was in rehab, he did not follow through and by his own admittance, he did not work the program. He is now saying things that I have never heard him say in the past 6 years. He has FINALLY admitted that he has lost control of his life and is powerless over the drugs, that his life has been filled with bad decisions and lastly, that if he does not stop, he will die. He misses the family (who will have no contact while he is using), he wants to return back to college and make something of himself.

I will not bail him out and he needs to take responsibility for his choices. I told him that if this is the only time that he is clean in his life, I hope the judge keeps him locked up for a long time. He has always skated on his other drug crimes and was adjucated in the past. He will be going back in front of the judge this week and will probably get his adjucation revoked and be deemed a felon. He will not be able to get back into a college if he is a felon.

My concern is that Miami can be a really rough place. If he gets picked up hitch hiking, he will go back to jail as he has no ID on him. He does not have any money and may pan handle which may also get him picked up. Either way he will go back to jail for either of these things.

I told him I would not pick him up unless it was to take him straight into rehab. (He told me he wanted to go back into rehab before I mentioned giving him a ride).

I know addicts lie and my son has told me so many lies that I stopped listening to pretty much anything that comes out of his mouth. There is something different in what he is saying this time. I can't put my finger on it, but it feels different and real. Call it a gut feeling that he has really reached his bottom and is now admitting it.

I wrote him a long letter while he has been in jail. He said it took him 4 days to read it because he kept crying and jail is not the place to be crying. He said it really hit home and he realized that I would no longer enable him or help him, that he was completely on his own. He has lost all the good friends who do not want to be around him and he realizes that the other addicts will enable him to kill himself. He has no one and he is lost. I believe he is ready and I think he really means it this time.
Don't know if you've made your choice, read over your thread again.
I would probably help him just because of the Miami part of it.

JMO...