Old 02-16-2010, 10:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Toronto68

Toji, there's a lot to say, but off the top of my head, think about it this way: when you are 24, one winter (or summer) is like an eternity. I remember and can compare it to now (I'm 41)

I understand if you are down on yourself because you feel cooped and under supervision and not out on your own. You should also think about not beating up on yourself too. Getting a job is going to be a great sense of achievement, that's true, and you will be able to tell younger people that you lived through one of the worst periods in a long, long time when it comes to jobs. But when I look at what you wrote, I find myself wishing that finding the positives in you would be the "first step". I can see that you have an eye for that too, because you remind yourself that you did study marketing, etc. I hope you'll make a "degree" out of respecting yourself. You have to rely on yourself.

As for your younger brother, I can't say what is involved there. You say he is pointing out things to your parents almost like he is out to get you in a competition sense. I don't know. But the first thing that came into my mind was that he loves you and would risk ticking you off if it meant keeping you safe. Even if that's wrong, then YOU be the brother who wants the best for you. You know how to coach yourself, I think you should keep going and you will do great. The dating and all the other stuff that comes with independence starts with a good self image, so I hope you will keep taking care of it.