View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 10:08 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
ghal

Originally Posted by Dave520 View Post
What was your first AA meeting like?
Did you have to speak?
Did you have to get a sponsor right away?
Did you feel like a loser or were surrounded by people you thought were beneath you? (btw, I'm not a snob, I'm just saying...)
Regarding your question about people being beneath you:
My sponsor is an oncologist, his sponsor is a successful retired businessman, the meeting I went to tonight is loaded with Physicians, Attorneys and other succesful professionals like myself. I also go to meetings with people that were or are currently living in half-way houses, homeless shelters and etc.. I also thought that I would feel better than the people around me before I learned that I had the same story they did but I was trying to quit before i hit ROCK bottom. As alcoholics our EGO's are huge and we are absolutely unable to see it until we start to experience some real humility. If you go to a meeting, there is only one requirement and that's the desire to quit drinking. If anyone tells you otherwise, find someone else to talk to. Now, I suggest that you announce yourself when they ask if there are newcomers because people will want to say hello and give you some phone numbers to call if you "choose" to do so. They will probably ask if you have any questions about the meeting or AA. I can't see why you wouldn't give it a real chance. Getting sober alone is a tough deal. Its much easier hanging out with a room full of people who totally understand the way your mind and body process alcohol