View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 03:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Toronto68

Jackson, on the AA and god thing, I understand. A lot of years ago I went to some AA meetings, and the mention of god (or even the "washed out" spirituality verbiage) was hard for me to deal with. I had been calling myself atheist for a long time, so it was hard to be receptive. I didn't stick with the meetings, but I still think back to them now and remember very much that I did in fact appreciate, and that was the fact that there were so many DIFFERENT people who all had something in common that held them together. It can be comforting to think that all those people, some of whom might never have had the desire to associate with each other in other contexts, actually come together out of the recognition of the experience.

AA doesn't work for everybody early on, some people need more time; other people can make it work sooner. I'm not going to judge you for not wanting to go, but I will tell you that you deserve to hear the words "I understand." Some people go on to live in misery while keeping the drinking in their lives; others say their outcome would have been death if they hadn't stopped. I remember all these words, and know what I was hearing now a little more first-hand

I don't call my atheist anymore or even agnostic. I just say I don't know all the answers.

Good luck and hope you will connect with the method that works for you. I have my 90 days tomorrow [sigh!], and am glad for it.