View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 11:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
vegibean

Hey jackson. I'm sure you're going to get a lot of great messages here. I suggest reading through all the other threads too in regards to 12 step recovery, non secular, etc.

I am an atheist by the way and I still attend AA meetings. It is a spiritual program, however you are NOT required to believe in God or a God. It's the steps that makes the program of recovery work.

Also, I'm willing to bet you're going to get tons of responses in regards to "controlling" your drinking. I think we've all tried it, it just doesn't work. I've tried waiting 'til 5PM, then noon seemed just as well since at least it still wasn't morning and before I knew it I was having a beer while getting ready for work at 7-8 in the morning. It was a horrible way to live and it was (for me) a point where I wasn't even really getting drunk as much as I was trying to maintain myself so I could function.

I certainly wasn't that way years ago, and I'm talking at least over ten years, it was progressive and I was very sick in the end. So glad I'm not there any more.

Welcome to SR. Hope you will keep reading and posting. I'm going to put a link here to the non-secular area so maybe you'll find some posts there that may help on the "God" thing.

Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information