View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 11:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Omega10

Originally Posted by Dave520 View Post
Does it get easier as time goes by? I'd like to get to the point where it's not a big deal, where I just don't think about drugs or alcohol anymore....
Do you ever miss getting drunk or high?
I'm still pretty early in my recovery, but yes sometimes I do. Tonight I was watching the Olympic Women's Hockey game, and I missed it. I thought to myself "oh, it would be so much fun to be sitting in a pub cheering the team on". Then I realized, I would be in a pub full of strangers sitting by myself watching the game - how much fun is that really? It was much cheaper to be by myself at home and watch the game, and I won't feel like garbage in the morning.

I find other things much easier, though. The fact that I get up in the morning and it does not take me hours to get moving. I don't have to worry about whether or not I wreak of booze. I don't have to wonder what things I did the night before - who I texted, who I was an @ss to, how I made it home. I don't have to worry about whether or not I ate the right food to avoid throwing up the next day. I don't have to worry about disappointing other people because I am now able to keep my commitments since I am not busy nursing a hangover.

In the end everything is about balance. Some days it is really hard to not drink, but the benefits of not drinking far outweigh the benefits of picking up that first of many drinks. Over time you will come to see how much easier life is without alcohol. No one can predict when that moment will come - it may take days, weeks, months, but it will come.